Manager, Social Services
Steward Health Care Network
Steward Health Care Network
Position Purpose: Under general direction of the Director of Behavioral Health, the Manager of Social Services oversees, monitors, coordinates, and supervises the daily operations of Steward Health Care Network's Social Services program staff. The Manager of Social Services works collaboratively with the care management team and other internal and external stakeholders to maintain optimal processes and procedures to ensure an excellent level of service and clinical care. The Manager of Social Services is responsible for driving performance and managing the implementation of SHCN initiatives to support individuals impacted by Social Determinants of Health (SDOH). In this position, the Manager of Social Services will manage, monitor and evaluate program performance on a continuous basis. The Manager of Social Services will operate in a highly matrixed environment, liaising across operational and business teams as well as external vendors.
Essential Duties and Primary Accountabilities
· Responsible for the direct supervision of Social Services program staff. Supervision responsibilities include, but are not limited to: reviewing cases to provide clinical support and feedback, monitoring caseload assignments and enrollment targets, reviewing case duration, and providing individual feedback surrounding programmatic performance targets.
· Demonstrate a high level of expertise and knowledge of addressing Social Determinants of Health for individuals impacted by homelessness/housing instability, food insecurity, financial resources, clothing, food, transportation, accessing services, etc.
· Working knowledge of government, state, community based resources and delivery systems needed in order to assist staff in addressing patients SDOH needs.
· Experience providing resource information and continued support to patients/clients to ensure access to services to address Social Determinants of Health utilizing culturally sensitive practices
· Implements key tactics to meet key performance indicators to drive performance at both program and individual CM levels.
· Analyzes all available data (e.g., utilization, quality, and claims data) to identify trends such as ALOS (Average Length of Stay), readmissions, and ER (Emergency Room) use; designs, implements, and modifies care management activities accordingly.
· Identifies and uses available data to monitor and evaluate care management's impact, and to inform and improve staff and system performance.
· Reports on project implementation and results in formats appropriate to all key stakeholders, escalating high-risk issues as appropriate and necessary.
· Conducts regularly scheduled staff meetings with members of the BH Care Management team which focuses on staff training and development, review/revision of workflow/processes, and review of programmatic performance targets.
· Identifies on-going educational needs and opportunities for staff, based on the requirements of the position and specific needs of the individual. Implements targeted staff orientation and training programs.
· Coordinates assessment of appropriate utilization of services, ensuring intervention as needed. Analyzes data, identifies patterns and trends, and ensures information flow to appropriate staff.
· Develops plans for corrective action on both an individual and program level in areas identified for improvement.
· Ensures patient care management plans are developed, implemented, and evaluated in collaboration with attending physician.
· Works collaboratively as part of the Care Management team for programs that cross the organization such as the ECF, Transitions, CCPM, BH CCPM and Embedded Care Coordination.
· Responsible for interviewing, selecting, orienting and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; evaluating performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; reviewing personnel actions of subordinates and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
· Identifies staffing needs to support the organization. Develops staffing strategies to ensure appropriate coverage to meet daily and unexpected requirements. Responsible for implementation, monitoring, and adherence of time off policies and procedures.
· Identifies and ensures adherence to evidence-based practice and care management outcomes.
· Uses risk-adjusted data to optimize patient management and assignments.
· Works collaboratively with the department leaders and the IT department to ensure the maintenance of care management databases and use of care management documentation systems. Proactive about identifying and advocating for system enhancements that may be required to deliver high quality care management services. Collaborates with IT teams to implement, test, and deploy system upgrades and enhancements.
· Assists with the development, management, and forecasting of department budget. Monitors expenses within approved budget. Maintains equipment and services agreements as needed.
· Demonstrates leadership that creates and fosters a culture of continuous improvement in the department.
· Performs all job functions in compliance with applicable federal, state, local, and company policies and procedures. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
· Travel throughout the SHCN network for meetings with internal and external stakeholders
· Other duties as assigned.
Education / Experience / Other Requirements
· Master's Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Counseling, Rehabilitation, or other related field, required.
Years of Experience:
· Required 5 years of experience in behavioral health management and/or acute behavioral health care setting focusing on outpatient/inpatient utilization, case management and discharge planning
· Required 2 years of supervisory/management experience
Work Related Experience:
· Experience and knowledge of community and state based resources to mitigate barriers that individuals face around Social Determinants of Health (SDOH).
· Proven success in leading complex, highly visible projects within a large healthcare provider organization setting
· Experience launching and running successful care redesign initiatives for underserved communities, preferably with experience in BH, SUD and SDOH programs
· Excellent critical-thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
· Ability to lead and motivate others to execute a plan in a rapidly changing environment.
· Ability to work collaboratively with health care professionals at all levels to achieve established goals and improve quality outcomes.
· Strong current working knowledge of care management and utilization management as well as new models of care such as Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) and Accountable Care Organization (ACO).
· Familiarity with the compliance and regulatory standards governing health plans and patient care including NCQA, URAC, federal, state, and other regulatory requirements.
· Ability to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; able to use reason, even when dealing with emotional topics.
· Ability to remain open-minded and change opinions on the basis of information, perform a wide variety of tasks and change focus quickly as demands change, and manage transitions effectively from task to task.
· Must possess a strong belief in an organizational culture that encourages valuing and best service excellence practices demonstrated through personal behavior and work ethic.
· Ability to work in several databases and to comply with established documentation requirements
· Exceptional organizational skills; ability to multi-task and work independently and part of a team
· Demonstrate ability to prioritize, multitask, and work in a rapidly changing environment with multiple demands
· Experience with Project Management software tools (i.e. MS Project, MS Excel, Innotas, etc.)
Job Reference #: 53761